There are two pieces of oil painting by Teppei Ikehira (池平撤兵）hanging on the wall in my living room. One is a college of polar bear, salmon, blue and white colored ripples, flowers in red, pink and orange. Another is a collage of lots of titmouses, lots of pink tulips, fried eggs, a windmill, a little girl with a sort of European traditional costume like with blue sky with some white clouds on the back. How I describe his painting in detail, it would be hard to imagine how it looks like. The motifs in a canvas is so versatile. It is hard to believe such diversified and unrelated motifs can be harmonized in one frame.
He had his personal show in hpgrp GALLERY TOKYO until yesterday and I could be there barely in the last day.
居場所を知ったものたち They know their place 2016 242.0cm x 324.0cm oil on canvas
How many different objects do you find in the above painting. You may wonder by the choice of diversified motifs from animals, fishes, cakes, children, fried eggs, Onigiri (rice balls), fruits, juices, UFO, and so on. Depending on a place you pay attention, you have a different discovery. Even after spending sometime searchingly looking by part by part, I felt as if there is a new motif added one after another.
Ikehira told me that the way such versatile motifs be together in the canvas is just like what we are living in this world with numberless different living creatures. We have somehow a harmony to belong to one world. Ikehira said he draws each motif one by one with high concentration as if each creature lives one’s life with own faith.
”Ibasho (your place) is not necessary a defined space, but exists within the relations with surroundings. To be exact, Ibasho exists inner self and can be visualized by the relations with surroundings”
戦場の産声 For The Babies At War 2017 162.0cm x 162.0cm Oil on canvas
池平 徹兵 / IKEHILA Teppei
- Born in Fukuoka
- Graduated from Course of Health and Physical Education, Department of School Teachers’ Training, Faculty of Education, Shimane University
- Selected for the 16th Taro Okamoto Award for Contemporar y Art Lives in Tokyo
OFFICIAL BLOG [http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/betterhalf20012001]
PORTFOLIO SITE [http://teppeiikehila.com]
OFFICE BACTERIA [http://office-bacteria.com]
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- “Blue Earth,” Galler y at Shimane Art Museum ( 01, 03, 06, 09, 12 )
- “Storehouse of the wing,” HIGURE 17-15 cas, Tokyo
- “OFFICE BACTERIA Universe,” Medical Science Museum, The Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo “OFFICE BACTERIA Universe / Planet,” Galler y Conceal, Tokyo
- ” Asa no Risoukyo,” Shonandai MY Galler y, Tokyo
Workshops and Public Projects
- mural painting, Hasu to Bara, Tokyo
- mural painting, IGL Complex Facility for the Elderly Seifu Shinto, Hiroshima mural painting, Samuel Saijo Nurser y, Hiroshima
- Koinobori,” Tachikawa City Civic Hall and Granduo Tachikawa, Tokyo
- poster, “Biofilms 5 International Conference,” Paris
- mural painting, Chaplin, Daimaru Tokyo
- Briandet, Romain. “Biofilms, quand les microbes s’organisent,” éditions Quæ, 2012, pp. 26, 27
I will write more about him at the next post so stay tuned!